Safe and Cheerful

So, I’m just sliding on here to sort of wave at you uncertainly. If you look at this and think – “Oh it’s her. Where has she been? Well if she thinks I’ll be reading this again – she’s got another think coming” I completely understand. However, I am going to type it anyway. This morning, I had a call from a lady from….well actually I’m not 100% positive where she was from. Something to do with the NHS Track and Trace…possibly. She asked a lot of questions about mental health and said that I should try and do productive things to help while we are sitting out the next 12 days in quarantine so here goes.

Actually, before “Here goes” I am not going to give you very much in the way of positive thoughts at the moment. (Nothing terrible. No deaths or anything) When I began to write this blog however many years ago that was, I had ideas of being encouraging and chivvying us all along a bit. I’m not sure it has ever worked out like that so, if you have problems of your own at the moment (and who doesn’t) and feel you want to leg it and not read. I would not take it personally.

So. (I can’t stand it when people start sentences with “so”) So, what’s been occurring? Well, you probably noticed the mention of being in quarantine. That’s because our son – FOW1 – contracted Covid 19 and has been in our back bedroom for the last seven days. It is, as many of you will know, a nasty virus and I would be happy to have a “chat” with anyone who feels that it has been overblown. FOW1 is young and fit. It has made him really quite ill. Also, hello to the donks who tried to come into the hostelry he works in, on the last night before lockdown, and then tried to start something because they “hilariously” thought pulling your T-Shirt over your head was “good enough mate”. For the more observant amongst you, FOW1 is living with us because his relationship has broken down. Initially, he was devastated, although he is thinking a little differently about things now. You know when things happen and you look back and realise that you weren’t actually that happy? That’s where he is at the moment. Well actually, to be strictly accurate, where he is at the moment is having a good cough.

In the meantime, we have also been dealing with Aged Parent whose meds had gone spectacularly wrong. Well, when I say “wrong” the doctors just didn’t get round to sending them. I mean I know they have a lot on but not sending the meds meant she phoned 999 – twice – was admitted to hospital for a barrage of tests – they can’t find anything much physically wrong with her – she was gutted. However, Aged Parent definitely does have mental health issues so we were dealing with phone calls with a distressed old lady crying “Can you help me please?” That was a bit tough. You will be pleased to hear that she is back on a much more even keel now. She is now well enough to pick a fight with her sister about who is the closest relative to my son.

So, that plus sorting out a new lockdown for the charity I work for. (We are not closing completely this time so people can get to doctors’ appointments etc) has meant that I just couldn’t make it happen. AND THEN…good grief, I am boring myself now…Bloglovin has stopped showing my blogs. Now, I know that this means that some people who are interested in me can no longer see if I have posted but, I’m not sure if I should do anything about it. Not because I don’t care about people who read the blog but more because a good proportion of my followers on Bloglovin’ seem to be ladies of a Russian bent who are offering me jig-a-jig. Now – far be it for me to pass judgment on people’s private lives but, I could do without all that carry on, to be frank. So I may see if there is another way forward. Any suggestions gratefully received.

So, if you have read this far. Thank you very much. The lady from Track and Trace was very concerned that we find something useful to do while we are isolated. (I think she was a bit suspicious actually because I took the call while I was standing on the balcony. With all the cars passing, I don’t think it sounded very isolationy.) This has felt quite useful for me if not for you. I hope you are all safe and cheerful.

1. sue partridge
    November 7, 2020 / 6:07 pm

Great to see you back Martha. Sorry you have been having such a difficult time. Out of interest I can no longer see your posts by going to your blog and clicking ‘follow’. I only know when you have posted when a link appears on Facebook. Has been like this for most of the year. Who knows why?

2. November 7, 2020 / 8:50 pm

You still appear on my feed and I always look forward to reading your posts. Hope you avoid covid. I am totally unsociable and have totally isolated myself.

3. November 7, 2020 / 10:25 pm

What a bad time you have been having. I do hope your son gets really well quickly. (though we know that a powerful man has told us ‘it’s just flu’……..
    I think all your posts have been appearing on Blogger.

4. November 7, 2020 / 11:44 pm

You are showing up on my blogger feed now [although for a while you seemed to disappear, and then I’d pick up the posts a few days later] I am so sorry about the covid – and especially hope your son recovers soon. It is alarming [a] that the young people seem to be struck down just as hard as the elderly folk, and [b] that LongCovid hangs around for ages. I’m speaking as someone who can’t smell, married to someone who is unbelievably fatigued a lot of the time – and we had covid back in early March. REALLY sorry about AP and her meds. You can do without all this. Please don’t stop blogging. I always read all the way to the end [and the comments] and I appreciate your honesty, about your faith and your doubts.

5. November 8, 2020 / 3:25 pm

I can still see your blogs on feedly.
    I had been wondering about you – and now I can see that you’ve had plenty on your plate. I’ll put you all at the top of the prayer list! – and hope that you can find useful and constructive things to do during your isolation. I can strongly recommend watching Benedict Cumberbatch try and say ‘penguins’ on the Graham Norton show for a start to begin to refill the inner well of positivity and cheerfullness which must be a bit depleted at the moment.

6. Jenny Young
    November 8, 2020 / 5:42 pm

I’m glad to see you post…..goodness I think I’d want to hide my head under my pillow in a dark room for awhile with all of that going on!

I pray your son heals quickly.
    I pray your Aged Parent becomes distracted by something innocent & gives the phone calls a break.
    I pray you have good weather so you can stand on your balcony as much as you please.

I hate the mental health questions from my doctor. Don’t they know it’s perfectly normal to feel some devastation with all the craziness in the big world plus the hard things in everyone’s day to day lives. Just let me grieve then I’ll move on. I admit to not being totally honest on all those kinds of questions. I really don’t want to be put on some kind of mind-altering medication that will cause me to go berserk if I miss a dose.

We’re taking long walks in the woods. We live in the country & the woods are our own property. But we’re pretty much open here in the US, in our state, so we’re going to the local parks as well. We are not eating in any restaurants though & I am so glad for Amazon…they bring me anything I might need to help me get through the coming days.

7. Kay
    November 15, 2020 / 11:02 am

Praying for you and your family xx