Kindness

February is a weird time. Just far enough away from Christmas to have lost all the twinkleyness and we are not seeing March on the way anytime soon. Here in the UK, we are in the middle of Storm Dennis (Stop naming the weather)! It’s raining – a lot and we are all on the verge of running out of British Bulldog spirit. To be fair though, all we are having to do is put a towel down at the bottom of the French windows but some people are seeing their whole lives sinking under the water. I did put my Cary Grant coat on (big old coat – bought from a vintage fair – difficult for the wind to get up it) this afternoon and braved the weather for a walk. We spent more time than is probably healthy pinned against a pub wall but, other than that – all is well. I broke my tooth and despite having a cavity so big that I got a prawn stuck in it on Thursday – I shouldn’t worry because my “emergency” dental appointment is February 27th. I think it’s in 2020 although I wouldn’t bet the house on it.

Has anyone been watching the Agatha Christie on Sundays? The Pale Horse? I know that these BBC adaptations are meant to be different and challenging (I think we all needed counseling and support after watching John Malcovich as Poirot) but I do not have the faintest idea what is going on. And bear in mind that I re-read the book a couple of weeks ago. Although I didn’t pay much attention to the re-read – I remember not liking it originally because a chicken or something met a nasty end.

Much better in my humble opinion is the film “A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood” I wrote about the documentary about Mr Rogers a few weeks ago but this is the Tom Hanks film. (Or Tam Honks as he is forever known in our house) It is really quite brilliant and moving but very complicated and human. It was very moving to see him kneeling by his bed, a small notebook in hand, praying for people by name. Just their name – nothing else. Made me think about how worked up we (well – let’s be honest – me) get about prayer – about how we have to explain how it works to God and go into details about the whole thing, otherwise he won’t understand. Yet, here was a man with enough faith to just say a name to God. It gave me plenty of pause for thought.

I am writing this as the news about Caroline Flack taking her own life is coming through. I’m not sure that I have anything to say except that everything – everything is recoverable from – there are no exceptions. No pit is too deep as Corrie Ten Boon used to say and I wished she had heard that and also that she appealed for kindness because I suppose she knew in her soul that that was what she needed and it wasn’t forthcoming. We blame social media but social media is inanimate – it’s the people on it that are cruel. We are a mess sometimes and no mistake.

For those wondering – Aged Parent is getting a bit more settled. There are activities every day – The Music Man every Thursday seems to be a particular favourite and she eats her lunch in the dining hall every day (except when it’s batter or vegetables or cheese or pork – she can’t be doing with pork)

Anyway, always looking to be helpful she told me about her helpful remarks to the lady who sits opposite her – a permanent wheelchair user.

AP – So I told her – A word of advice my dear. I have been told that if I don’t use my legs I will lose the use of them so I am trying to walk on them as much as I can. Something for you to think about in that chair love no?

Me – Mum she’s paralyzed!!

AP – Really? Shame. Nice girl. Pity I didn’t get to speak to her earlier.

Noooooo! Have a good week.

1. February 17, 2020 / 2:52 am

There is really no response to your mum’s ‘advice’ is there! (Well ,maybe a helpless giggle)
    Your dental appt is better than mine’, also for a broken tooth….no emergency bookings available until March 9th.
    Kindness—why are people revelling in being unkind? What makes people write such wounding comments? It’s one of the reasons that I wont engage with Social media.

February 17, 2020 / 8:54 pm

There’s something about Social Media that allows people to say things that they would never say to someone’s face. I suppose they were thinking these things anyway but these people seem so angry – at everything

2. February 17, 2020 / 7:19 am

Sorry about the tooth. And the wait.
    I watched Pale Horse because I usually like the AC stuff on TV (but Miss Marple must be Joan Hickson) and because Rufus Sewell (esp in a suit) is a delight to behold.
    But it was rubbish! None of it made sense. And they used an electric carving knife that wasn’t correct for the time (I’m certain of this because I have the same one, it was a wedding present in 1979) I know that is a trivial detail, but it jarred.
    Tam Honks is a lovely actor. Simple prayers are a good idea

February 17, 2020 / 8:50 pm

I didn’t spot the knife.I thought the clothes were excellent especially young Mr Sewell as you say but the story was all over the place.

3. February 17, 2020 / 8:43 am

I love the idea of a book of names – we have an intercessions list that gets read through in church, but it hadn’t occurred to me to make one for personal use.
    The newer Poirot adaptations are all so darkly lit that I can’t be bothered with them as I can’t make out what is going on. I agree, Joan is the only Miss M. I used to have an audiobook book Peter Salis reading a Poirot Nd every so often he would slip into a yorkshire version of a french accent.

I’m currently bracing myself for the (Women’s) World Day of Prayer shenanigans, starting with a coffee morning on Saturday. Got to summon energy and enthusiasm to try out Zimbabwean cornmeal cake and sweet potato cookie recipes.! How do we get ourselves into these situations?

February 17, 2020 / 8:37 pm

I just thought than when you think about it – just saying a name and then leaving it to God is really powerful. I stuck with that Agatha Christie and it is – as they say – two hours of my life that I will never get back!Have a great WWDP – you are braver than me doing complicated cookery like that!

4. February 18, 2020 / 9:47 pm

It’s a great patch for films just now, isn’t it! I loved the Fred Rogers film, and Little Women and Just Mercy and Emma and David Copperfield, and I want to see Misbehaviour as well. Honestly, forever can go by with everything at the cinema just “Meh”, and now all these come along in one glorious bundle together!

February 19, 2020 / 8:33 pm

Yup – doing Emma tomorrow and looking out for Dark Waters as well. The David Copperfield was just perfect.