Birthday

Et voila the Birthday Parent! We wondered if some of you would like to see Aged Parent and this was her yesterday on her birthday. (Quote as we walked through the door “I’m not 84 I’m 83 so that’s good isn’t it?” I have no idea). And before any of you decide that I have been a little hard on AP – looking at how happy and bright and cheerful she is here, I would like to let you know that this photo took more arranging than a Royal Wedding Album. She doesn’t normally like laughing (her quote not mine) but she made an exception for her birthday.

Also we had rejected a photo taken just after she moved in on the grounds that it looked like a Panorama documentary and was likely to earn us a visit from the social.

Our plans for Power of Attorney have hit a snag. There are two separate bits – one for finance and one for health and welfare. I sent them off about six weeks ago. The finance one came back because the signatures hadn’t been signed in the right order which I suppose is fair enough. However the Health and Welfare has been returned because I mistakenly wrote the date as 20 19 2019. Not only has it been sent back but we have to do the whole thing again and pay 50% of the fee again. Yup. I wouldn’t mind so much but there are spelling mistakes in the letter they sent me and they sent it to the wrong address.

We are thinking of just doing the finance one – all AP is bothered about is that she has enough money for the Bingo and the charity sing song. Has anyone had involvement with a Health POA? Are they worth it? I’ll be honest, I cannot see me making life and death decisions that fly in the face of medical advice. I can’t see AP vetoing any decisions ether. The only thing she has vetoed so far is an £860 bill to have a solicitor do it.

In an uneventful week, I am just going to leave you with an old hymn that we sang this morning. I haven’t sung it for years and it felt like the return of an old friend and I was a bit emotional.

But “I know Whom I have believed,
And am persuaded that He is able
To keep that which I’ve committed
Unto Him against that day.”

It’s a direct lift from 2 Timothy and when I was a young person all lush and lovely, an old lady in the church said it was a very important hymn because it was about “Knowing” which is head knowledge and being “persuaded” which is your heart knowledge. And I was always taught that they were like a pair of scissors and you couldn’t have one without the other. And even now that I am old and withered and even though a lunatic hairdresser has left me with a haircut that means that I could easily be mistaken in the street for Vera, this hymn can still make my bottom lip wobble with the truth and loveliness of it all.

Have a great week

1. January 27, 2020 / 12:09 am

It is SO frustrating when they muck you about over a tiny typo and then they make errors. Bob had to send his passport NOT a photocopy over some legal thingy (which included proving our home address) to some solicitors. And then they returned it to the wrong address. Fortunately the wrong address was his place of work, the church, and I happened to be there to sign for it. But I was extremely annoyed (what if it had arrived on a Tuesday and been taken by some overweight member of Slimming World, eh?) I have no experience of POA. I wish you joy with that. 3months ago we signed our wills, and now, sadly, one of the executors has died…

January 27, 2020 / 9:04 pm

Well ours wasn’t even an address we knew. They got the number wrong but miraculously the postman delivered it to us. I felt like writing back and just bunging on the end – oh and you don’t spell “their” like that! Childish I know.

2. January 27, 2020 / 9:20 am

Lovely photo.
    May I advise you to continue with both POAs. It is infuriating that they pick up the slightest mistake, and it does mean you have to be bery careful when writing them.
    I have done both for my husband, and was glad. When he was so very ill in hospital last year I was told that the might have to go into a home when he was well enough. Because I had the POA I had the authority to say that I wanted him to come back home, with an increased package of Care. No way was he going to be put in a home.
    I’m sure you know that you dont need a solicitor to do the forms.

January 27, 2020 / 9:02 pm

Thank you – this is very interesting and helpful everyone. It looks like a POA is worth the effort

3. Kirsten
    January 27, 2020 / 2:47 pm

I’ve no experience of either, but now that we are dealing with my late godmother’s estate I am wishing we had a power of attorney (Finance) and we will set BOTH POAs in motion very soon, also wills. Luckily she left her affairs in very good order, but it is things like paying all her bills out of our money because we cannot access hers until probate… I have an unreasonable hatred and fear of Official Forms but I’m getting plenty of practice at signing to say that I declare the information to be true and understand I could go to jail if it is wrong!

Like the reply above, a friend of mine was very relieved to have had a welfare POA for her ancient Aunt, who was also about to be discharged from hospital into a care home, and used the POA to get the aunt back into her own homw with a comprehensive care package. (She used Homeinstead, who also provided care-at-home for my godmother in her last few weeks and were excellent).

I’ve come to the conclusion that POAs are a Good Thing!

January 27, 2020 / 9:01 pm