Adventures in being green

You see before you my latest sincere, if not exactly earth shattering attempt at being a bit more green. This is a Lush shampoo bar. (Apologies for the state of this photo. I struggled to get it in a light that didn’t make it look like a macaroon, so ended up with it on the end of FOW2’s dressing table where the light was supposed to be better. Am still not convinced really)

I thought it might be a good idea to reduce some packaging and had heard that these were good so I ventured into Lush. Have you been to Lush? It smells nice. A bit too nice. It makes HOH cough. Also the marketing is a bit aggressive. I had only been in 15 seconds when a girl who must have been half my age came over and asked – “Are you ok Lovely?” Now, call me old fashioned but I think that this is uncalled for. “Lovely?” Seriously? Still, I ploughed on.

“I am looking for a shampoo bar – have you got any that would suit older hair”?

Looks at me uncertainly “Well – it won’t dye it”

Me (More snappish than was strictly necessary) “I don’t want to dye it! I like it! I want to wash it!” Bah.

So we found one I liked and it cost ….£7.50. £7.50!! How many do you get for that?

“Well I have had mine since last September and it’s still going strong”

I did cast a small side-eye at her lime green hair and wondered if a little more frequent shampooing might not have gone amiss but I generously put this to one side and decided to give it a go.

“Come, over to the tills then Lovely”! Arrrgh. I’ll let you know how I get on.

I was also disappointed this week to find out that I have been unable to pass on my frugal and environmentally friendly habits to my offspring. At a reunion meal this week both told me that neither of them had a washing-up bowl in their respective showers – nor did they intend to. Well, it’s your loss. HOH and I reduced our water bill by around £70 a month by converting to a meter and my trusty washing-up bowl water saving habit has been a very important part of that. (That and the “If it’s yellow – let it mellow” philosophy) You try to bring your kids up properly and then this happens.

Aged Parent had a visit from a nurse this week and she has said that she thinks AP needs more support (actually she said that this was important to do because she felt that I needed support as well, which kind of made my bottom lip wobble – as I always think that medical professionals are going to say – she’s your mum – get on with it). We await the verdict from the next health professional in the line.

Meanwhile, her friend had a romantic setback this week.

AP…………J has been on the dating website again.

Me……….Oh, did she meet anyone?

AP……….Well yes but, as I told her – they talk on the phone and then when they see you in the flesh….. well (Shrugs shoulders in “what can I tell you” fashion)

Me……….Mum. That’s quite rude.

AP……….Well, this one arranged to meet up with her. He talked to her for two minutes – then walked off. So she said “I thought you were taking me to lunch”? and he said “I just remembered – I have to mow my lawn” Make of that what you will.

Have a good week

1. March 24, 2019 / 10:11 pm

If you keep your Lush bar in a tin it is supposed to last longer. I had one when we took the motorbike to France for a 2week camping holiday in 2006. I used it for body, hair, and laundry. At the end of the fortnight I dried it thoroughly and put it back in the tin. I used it again for the next two summer holidays. So you could say it lasted me three years. But the smell of the shops makes my OH sneeze. What do you do with the shower water in your washing up bowl?

March 25, 2019 / 8:31 pm

Am hoping it lasts a long time for that price. We use the water from the shower in trhe garden if it’s clean or in the cistern to flush the toilet if it’s got bubbles in.

2. March 25, 2019 / 8:37 am

I have to say that I thought it was a slice of beetroot on the pretty plate. Wondered if you were going for a Masterchef look? Or taste?

March 25, 2019 / 8:32 pm

I’m all for natural but I’m not sure I’m ready for beetroot smelly hair

3. Tina
    March 25, 2019 / 11:23 pm

Yes what do you do with the shower water in your bowl?
    Hope all is ok re AP

March 26, 2019 / 8:40 pm

We put it in the cistern when we flush. The kids say it’s weird but it saves a lot of water – handy cos we are on a meter. Thanks for asking about AP. She is having a few episodes around memory and understanding and medical people are starting to get involved. We will just see how things progress from here x

4. March 30, 2019 / 6:04 am

I think that’s a Coalport plate under the Lush bar. I absolutely love Lush things but we have sadly had to give them up because their products are all so strongly fragrant and we have sensitive skin and react to them. Boo. I’m thinking of getting some more of their Breath of God perfume, though, even so, because it is so very lovely.
    We’ve just got a second (huge) Berkey filter for the rainwater from our roof, and use that to rinse our hair. We use unfiltered rainwater to flush our loos. I like your idea of the shower water collector. I’m sorry to say I have baths still, just because I love them and put salt in to stop me getting muscle cramps; I know I should have showers really, though . . .

March 30, 2019 / 8:39 pm

I have just been upstairs to check and you are correct – it is Coalport. I have heard that Lush’s “Sympathy for the Skin” is excellent for sensitive skins but I don’t know how much of a risk it would be to try it

5. Sue
    August 3, 2019 / 1:57 pm

I know it is rather a long time since this post but I wondered how you got on with the solid shampoo? I was in Lush yesterday wondering if I should buy one. The young girl who came up to me said to look at the online reviews but they seemed a bit mixed.

6. lesleyps91
    August 4, 2019 / 8:28 pm

Hello. Well, it was ok. I probably used it about three times and I struggled to get the hang of it. I probably used it for about a week, then my daughter was going back to uni and I said she could take it with her if she wanted. (It was an evening full of chips and Chardonnay so probably a bit rash) Either way, when I got home from work next day it was gone. Now she has much longer and lusher hair than I have and she loves it. I am seriously thinking of going back and trying another one because I’m not sure if I gave it a good enough try. I have been told that Holland and Barratt are carrying a solid shampoo as well now.

• SueP
      August 6, 2019 / 8:00 pm

Thanks so much-perhaps I will be brave and give it a go.